Wednesday, March 21

Geneology, and other things

Was just thinking as I signed in that it would be quite good fun (and look good in the project report!) if people with a similar surname doing family history came across the blog, so I have added variations on the transliteration of the surname as keywords.

Old Blog
This had photos of things I found on the shore (Beachcomber, nai;) I had photos of a dead seahorse I found dried out on the sand at Nausicaa, lots of different bits of driftwood, some strangely shapped stones, and different coloured stones. Photos of sunsets and the olive groves and rocks above Skouthaki, that kind of thing. Just things I liked, I don't know if anyone ever visted the blog. (This time I will know, because I have included a map to record where visitors come from - another point for my project.)

Probably the best thing was the koumboloi - (the one I said yesterday, that I can't find the picture). I found it very early one hot morning. There was no-one around and the light was a bright, shining white, the world seemed to be waiting for something to happen - expectancy, that's the word. I walked round from our beach to Nausicaa Plaz. I waded across little bays and through rockpools, and the water soon felt quite warm. I was wading along the watermark, just looking about, in the water too, seeing if anything had washed up, and I saw this flash of blue in the water. (That just gave me a great idea - more good marks for the project.) I had to feel around in the sand, which eddied up so I couldn't see, but then I felt the beads, and I pulled them out, they were still a brilliant blue, and on the end was a flat blue stone, painted with a yellow and white eye. It looks quite evil, but really it is meant to protect you from evil.

So later on I took this great photo of Laki, who's a fisherman, and looks old, brown, with a cap on his head, just as he should. He was sitting on the edge of his boat which had the same (well, similar) eye painted on it, and he was playing with the koumboloi. I managed to get the boat's eye in, as well as the koumboloi, quite clearly. And now I can't find it, the photo, that is, but then if I could, I wouldn't have thought of linking to a photo on the web (not downloaidng it, Ο κ. δικηγόρος).

Sometime later
So, alright, I thought it was a good idea, but when I did an image search I got 733 hits, so I started looking through them and couldn't find anything like mine, so then I did a search on 'komboloi blue' and got 146 hits, but none of them look like the one I found, which had blue glass beads, silver links, and the matia on a separate little strand. So I've linked (above, under flash of blue, to a matia which is nearly like mine, although mine has a yellow iris, and there is komboloi on the same page, though not the right size, colour or what have you.

So I promise I will get around to photographing, or maybe scanning, mine again later, and posting it. (If you check the text and tags you might notice I've been quite clever, or you might not, or you might think it is simply commonsense.)

No comments: