Monday, September 15

WOW! Room to read!

This project, my blogging for an IT credit, is over, officially. I received a distinction, but I am disappointed because I didn't reach the 1,000 mark in visitors yet, though if you look at the small map, it looks like many visitors - and I thank you all, especially now I have some from Africa also now. (Yes, I know it is a continent!)

But now our Academy (remember, faithful readers, we are a virtual school, with students and tutors from all across the world, coming together via technology) has started a new project and I am so excited about it the first thing that occurred to me was to put it on my blog!

It is about an organisation called "Room to Read"; the person who set it up has written a book, which is to be one of our set texts this year, but I have already read it because Stefan gave it to me for my birthday in August. It is called "Leaving Microsoft to Change the World", isn't that a groovy (Addendum 1: Barney says 'groovy' is so totally passe - bet he just wants to show off his French!) title but Bill Gates might be a bit miffed (thank you Giagia for that word!), he probably thinks he changed the world already!

Anyway, these people raise money and set up schools and libraries and computer rooms and give girls scholarships, in really poor countries, and I think it is a megaliterous idea. I hoped we might be able to do something for Greec e (we are a very poor country!) but it doesn't seem to be happening here.
But, as I was saying, there's a section called Students helping Students, set up after the Tsunami, and we are to come up with bright ideas to raise money and contribute - so if you have any, please let me know. And you can find out more about the student bit at http://www.roomtoread.org/involvement/shs.html

No comments: